Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Callie's Birth Story

As I was going through old posts one day, I realized that I never did get around to sharing Roman's birth story. (Oops!)  I remember having every intention to do that but I guess life was a little crazy back then.  It really wasn't that eventful in terms of labor.  Very similar to my labor and delivery with Loyal except a couple hours shorter and only about 15 minutes of pushing.  A breeze compared to the 2 hours I pushed with Loyal!  This time around, Callie's was very different.  Every aspect of it , from the drive to the hospital to delivery, was entirely different.

With both boys I was very against being induced.  I delivered Loyal 7 days late. I was set to be induced at 41 and a half weeks but luckily he ended up coming on his own just 2 days prior.  The same thing happened with Roman.  I delivered 2 days before they scheduled my induction date.  This time though, I elected to be induced.  The circumstances were so different now that our family was bigger.  We live 45 minutes from the hospital and arranging child care for the boys and making sure I made it to the hospital on time was giving me so much anxiety.   The doctors at my practice couldn't stress enough how fast 3rd babies can come!  I felt good about my decision to induce aside from all of the horror stories I had heard in the past.  I hoped that because my body had been in labor twice before, it would get the memo quickly and just do its thing.

The night before the big day, my parents came to stay the night since we had to leave early the next morning.  I ran around the house cleaning, prepping, packing, and cleaning some more.  I was trying to busy myself as much as possible to take my mind off of being so anxious.  I think I was also expecting myself to go into labor overnight like I did the first 2 times so I knew that running around could help trigger that.  I hardly slept that night and not because I went into labor but because I kept waking up to what I thought was a contraction.  I would lie there for an hour waiting for another one and nothing.  I tossed and turned all night and woke up to an alarm that came way too soon.  
The plan that morning was to get out of the house before the kids woke up to ensure a quick and easy exit.  That definitely didn't work out the way we had intended and saying goodbye to them was so much harder than I ever thought it would be.  I was nervous about delivering and sad to leave them and just over all really anxious.   After a million kisses goodbye and several head nods toward the door from Loyal, we were on our way.   One of our favorite parts of the entire labor process was always the drive to the hospital.  It was usually somewhere between 2 and 4 a.m.  It was dark out and the roads were clear, making it such a calm and special time for the two of us.  This time however, there was traffic, lots of it, and Loyal's weaving in and out of lanes to get us there on time, for once, only intensified as the traffic thickened.  I knew I had to stay calm and prepare myself for what I was about to do so I did my best to block it out.  I closed my eyes and put my head back and that's when I realized that I was in fact having contractions.  That was what had woken me up overnight but because they were the first 2 or 3, they were so spread out.  The contractions I was having were so faint but I was definitely feeling them.

We got the hospital just after 8 and were in our room by 8:30.   My sister showed up with Starbucks for Loyal (a delivery room staple for them!) and before I knew it, I was hooked up to all the machines, my IV was in and everyone was ready to go.  I had been about 4cm dilated for a couple weeks so the doctors knew that this induction wouldn't take long.  The doctor came in at around 9 to check in with us, see how I was doing and go over the plan.  She broke my water right away, started me on pitocin and basically told us we were not messing around today!  And that we weren't because the contractions started coming fast and furious.  My contractions this time were very different than the first two times.  They were so much more intense and the pressure I was feeling was off the charts.  I never felt pressure when I was in labor with the boys and especially not before I got an epidural.  This time though, I couldn't even catch my breathe.  I knew this could only mean one thing...she was ready to come out and ready to come out NOW.  The nurses knew without me even telling them that I was ready for the epidural and we were going to have to step on it if I was going to get it before she came out.  Waiting felt like 6 years and the blink of an eye all at the same time.  I was so ready to feel some relief but surprisingly it hardly even touched the pressure I was feeling.   Soon after the epidural, I started to feel sick so they gave me Zofran to help with the nausea.  Then they said something about my blood pressure being high which I guess can happen after an epidural so they gave me medicine for that as well.  The next thing I knew, I felt so loopy and drugged up which I never felt with the boys.  I hated feeling like that but things were moving so fast that I didn't even have time to think about it much more.  (Just to put some perspective on how fast, at this point we are only about 2 hours after the doctor started the induction.)  What happened in the next 30 minutes is a blur but somewhere in there it was time to push and the nurse telling me not to start until she called the doctor.  The doctor came in and I think I pushed 2, maybe 3 times and she was here!

Callie Marie Hoover entered the world on January 12, 2017 at 11:27 a.m.  She cried for 45 minutes straight while Loyal and I overwhelmingly looked at each other like oh shit.   She eventually calmed down and immediately stole our hearts forever.  Callie has brought so much joy to our family and opened our eyes to a world we didn't know before we had her...girls!  So different and so fulfilling after 2 boys.   Everyone in the family is smitten with her!    
If you are interested in reading these...


No comments

Post a Comment

© Home with the Hoovers. All rights reserved.