Friday, July 25, 2014

New Orleans

After a quick trip to New Orleans, we are already back in Atlanta for a couple of weeks.  We had a lot of prior engagements set but wanted to go ahead and get our stuff moved down.  The past few days have been a whirlwind.  We haven't had a break since Saturday and I think we are all ready for some down time at this point.  I wanted to share a little bit about our trip.

We got the truck unloaded pretty quickly on Sunday thanks to all the help we had.  We were able to turn the truck back in that evening which was nice to not have to worry about it in the morning.  Sunday night we were so exhausted from the move that we all crashed pretty hard.  Loyal and I slept like rocks and I don't even think it was because of our new mattress.  We woke up Monday morning with an empty fridge so we went to Ihop for a quick breakfast before diving in to unpacking a million boxes.  Our stuff had been in storage for the past 2 years so it was quite interesting to see what we came across.  A lot of stuff was "oh, remember this?!  Can't wait to use this again!" and other things were promptly put in the Goodwill pile.  Between numerous moves in the past and sorting out a few things before this move, we weren't left with much.  I feel like our style and design taste has changed significantly and now that we are home owners, we kinda wanted to start over.  We basically kept the necessities which ended up being our couch, kitchen table and dishes.  All of which we plan on replacing eventually.  At the beginning of this year, we bought our first king sized bed which was super exciting.  This thing is heaven to sleep on!  Especially when you are dead tired at the end of the day.  Although, it barely made it through the staircase opening.  And even with 3 men, I mean barely.

Tuesday we decided to finally get dressed and venture out to breakfast.  We discovered one of our favorite places in New Orleans on a visit a while back.  District Donuts is on Magazine Street and they have some pretty incredible donuts, I must say.  We follow their instagram and discuss their daily donuts at least once or twice a day.  Boy were we excited to finally go!
Loyal got the Rootbeer Float donut and I got the French Toast one.
This place is going to be dangerous once we are there full time.

Before we went down, I had it in my mind that I wanted to get Lo's room painted before we left.  I quickly realized that that may have been a little ambitious.  I redirected my focus to just getting everything unpacked and put away, which ended up being much more reasonable.  I would say that I accomplished that and I'm pretty proud of it.  We left with only a few boxes left to unpack and they are things that can wait.  Like winter clothes and a few kitchen boxes that are waiting on the dishwasher to get fixed.  I can't tell you how many things I washed by hand until I finally threw in the towel.  I did, however, make it to the paint store to get a head start on selecting colors.  We basically have to paint every single surface of our house so it was a little overwhelming.  I think I have the nursery paints picked out.  At least one of them is a definite.

Wednesday was our last day in New Orleans and I think it was my favorite.  We had a lot of loose ends to tie up at the house before we left so we stayed home most of the day.  It ended up being a gloomy and rainy day.  Something about listening to the rain while I cleaned the house made it feel so different than the days prior.  Maybe it was the rain.  Maybe it was that things were finally set up and put away.  We put the kitchen table together that night and had our first home cooked meal.  Our bedroom had somewhat come together and felt more like a bedroom rather than a mattress in the middle of the room.  Wednesday was a really good day and just like that, it felt like home.  It was a little weird knowing that we were leaving in the morning.  As much as I was so ready to get the 7 hour drive behind us, take a good shower and relax a little, I was sad to leave.  It's hard to get a small taste of a new life that you realize you like so much, just to leave it so quickly.  I know these next couple of weeks will fly by and I honestly can't wait to get back down to New Orleans.  Especially now that we can finally start painting nursery's!

Here are a couple pictures from our trip
This was a random street on our way home from breakfast.  The trees here make me want to get out of the car and walk around.  So much charm to this city.
My little unpacking helper!
     So we got one dresser put together.  It took us a loooong time to put all these pieces where they go.  Got to love Ikea!
Daddy was showing Lo his new backyard.  And also helping him through the grass as he was learning how to walk in shoes on this trip.  I love to spy on them while they are bonding. 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Home with the Hoovers. All rights reserved.